Hendrick’s is a brand synonymous with eccentricity and whimsy. Their limited edition Lunar Gin is a triumph of these concepts. With all the floral botanicals I’ve come to expect from Hendrick’s, this one has hints of sweet hibiscus and the more sombre lavender.
I’ve always wanted to try preserved hibiscus flowers so this made infinite sense. The foam is aquafaba – or chickpea water – and is super stable, so much easier to work with than the more adrenalin-charged, egg whites. (Will they work? Will anyone get sick? Is this worth it?)
There’s also a fresh undercurrent of citrus, to break through the saccharine sweetness of the syrupy flowers and the buttery, creaminess of the foam.
Lunar Gin isn’t yet available in Australia but you can order it online. I suspect they’ll be launching it here soon given all the promotions they’ve been running for it on social media. A good one to get a hold of as they probably won’t be stocking this one forever.
PS: I’ve hidden a signature Hendrick’s cucumber in one of the photos, can you see it?
- 2 parts Hendricks Lunar Gin
- 1 part lemon juice
- 1 part hibiscus syrup
- splash of cold water
- 50ml aquafaba
- 30 ml simple syrup
- Preserved hibiscus flower for garnish
- Combine gin, lemon juice, hibiscus and water in a shaker.
- Shake and strain into a glass.
- In a clean shaker combine aquafaba and sugar syrup. Shake for 45 seconds to achieve a thick foam.
- Pour over the drink and allow to settle in a layer.
- Garnish with a preserved hibiscus flower.
🌺 Hibiscus flowers are preserved in syrup and available at most liquor stores.